Where to start
March 24, 2020
Many Canadian business owners and entrepreneurs are anxious about how to get the help they need in the face of COVID-19. Here are a few good places to start:
- Visit the website for businesses for information about supporting your employees and your business. It will be constantly updated as the COVID-19 crisis evolves.
- Download the Canada Business App to find tailored supports to address your specific needs and questions about COVID-19.
- Consult the Canadian Chamber of Commerce’s pandemic preparedness guide to help prepare your business in the days and weeks to come.
- Contact your bank. Canada’s banks have made a commitment to support businesses and individuals through these difficult times in a responsible, fair, and compassionate way. To help provide some stability for businesses through this time of uncertainty, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) is lowering the Domestic Stability Buffer requirement, releasing more than $300 billion of additional lending capacity for Canadian financial institutions.
More announcements will be made in the coming days and weeks and TIAC continues to advocate for urgent measures to address immediate tourism business needs as one of the first and most impacted sectors in the economy.
- Navigate the crisis; to ensure we are working with other stakeholders and organizations supporting this sector, we are connecting daily with many other organizations to share ideas and push out vital information to as many people as possible. This includes regular calls and email communication to ensure TIAC members and the industry get timely updates on the COVID-19 situation, and what assistance is available to them. As of today, these communications included;
- Issuing a press release to call on Government to act on immediate support for Canada’s Travel & Tourism industry, where TIAC warns that without immediate support from the federal government, Canada’s $100 billion+ tourism sector will see monumental job losses over the coming days and weeks
- TIAC’s participation in industry webinar organized by Destination Canada, along with other industry and government partners, where emphasis centered on TIAC’s advocacy focus for COVID-19 support to the government, and practical resources for members and industry facing difficult times. A recording of this webinar will be available on Destination Canada’s website in the coming days.
- Tourism Matters Campaign – make your voice heard! TIAC is once again employing the Push Politics tool/microsite, as a resource for industry to reach out to their Member of Parliament and reiterate the impact COVID-19 is having on local businesses. By sending a letter to your MP, you help TIAC and the entire tourism industry show government that #TourismMatters more than ever, and that our businesses and workers need help NOW. Please do your part by submitting a letter as soon as the platform launches.