CANADIAN COVID-19 UPDATE | JUNE 25 – 29
June 25, 2020
TIAC’s Advocacy Update
- Early tomorrow, TIAC will be launching an in-depth industry survey that will cover the use of government support programs to obtain much-needed data to Government in order to address support for the visitor economy.
- While TIAC understands that multiple requests for surveys may feel burdensome on industry, we must continue to collect quantifiable data about your businesses in order to show the government the continued need for sector-wide support. Relying on anecdotal information will not meet our needs for support.
- Last week, TIAC President & CEO held a meeting with the office of Minister Joly, where TIAC emphasized the importance of clarifying support for the industry during government announcements, and the fair allocation and distribution of funding to support sector recovery.
Later today, TIAC representatives will participate in a Business Liaison Group call with the Deputy Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada, Graham Flack and Employment Commissioner Judith Andrews to discuss CERB and the return to Employment Insurance.
- Today, the Prime Minister announced that the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program will be extended by one month, and the government is working with the provinces to accomplish this.
- The Prime Minister also announced that, after today, daily public health briefings will be suspended.
- Moving forward, these briefings will only take place when new information is available.
- The Minister of Finance recently announced that the expanded CEBA program will now be offered via Canada’s banks instead of just through the government portal.
- The Minister says they are working on bringing this to credit unions as fast as possible.
- On June 25, FedDev Ontario, in partnership with the Tourism Industry Association of Ontario, announced the names of the destination marketing organizations that will receive funding from the Regional Relief & Recovery Fund.