Canadian COVID-19 Update | Tuesday, May 26
May 29, 2020
TIAC’s Advocacy Update
- TIAC hosted and participated in our first Tourism Town Hall of Tourism Week with more than 200 tourism businesses across Manitoba. This engaging session highlighted the efforts of a number of tourism associations working with the federal and provincial governments to get support for tourism businesses. We would like to thank our panelists, our local partner Travel Manitoba, our sponsors and industry participants for their time and engaging questions during this first virtual town hall session!
- TIAC’s President and CEO participated in a regular call with ISED ADM Paul Thompson, where they discussed Tourism Week, current state of support programs and TIAC’s forthcoming recommendations to aide in sector recovery phase.
- Today, the Prime Minister announced that the Government of Canada is extending the deployment of Canada’s Armed Forces in Ontario and Quebec due to a request from the two provinces
- The Prime Minister announced that funding will be made available to create 700 new youth jobs in the agriculture industry to help support farmers as they work to provide food amidst the increased demand from Canadians during the pandemic.
- The Prime Minister also announced new contracts with General Motors to produce 10 million face masks, and with other organizations to develop new and improved testing kits and an additional 10,000 ventilators. This is in addition to the 40 planes of PPE equipment that has arrived in Canada over the last 10 weeks.
- Finally, the Prime Minister announced he will be convening a meeting with UN officials and other dignitaries from Jamaica and countries around the world to discuss shared strategies to support the global economy and the importance of global cooperation during the pandemic