Canadian COVID-19 Update | Tuesday, April 21
April 21, 2020
- TIAC’s President and CEO continued conversations today with various political stakeholders, emphasizing the importance of liquidity for our industry and ensuring tourism businesses are able to access relief measures.
- Today, the Prime Minister announced that the online application portal to access the Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) will be available on Monday April 27th on the CRA website:
- The majority of applications will be processed by May 5th with cash flowing to businesses shortly thereafter. TIAC will be sharing details on how to access the portal as soon as it is made available.
- An online calculator has been launched to help businesses determine their eligibility and how much they can claim through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
- Our partners at Destination Canada have released their preliminary data on the impact of COVID-19 on the Canadian tourism sector: https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-research
In case you missed it …
- As we start looking towards the travel and tourism sector’s path to recovery, our partners at Twenty31 have developed a snapshot report of recent key global, regional and domestic tourism health and economic updates. The purpose of this report is to provide insights on a weekly basis of the current impact of COVID-19 on the travel and tourism industry.
- This research is made possible through TIAC’s Elevating Canadian Experiences program funded by the Government of Canada’s Canadian Experience Fund.
- We continue to collect responses for our survey in collaboration with McKinsey & Company and Destination Canada to assess recovery measures to help the tourism sector when the COVID-19 crisis subsides. The survey closes on April 23, 2020.
- Please know that each entry is captured and reported to government officials and decision- makers daily. Your continued participation and input are vital. Thank you to everyone who already participated. Please see the survey details & link below.
- Today, the Prime Minister announced that the government will be launching a calculator on CRA’s website that will help businesses determine how much they can claim through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
- As in the above update, The Prime Minister also announced that the CEWS portal will be open on CRA’s website as of Monday, April 27, and a majority of applications will be processed by May 5th with cash flowing to businesses shortly thereafter.
- The government also announced a $350 million emergency fund for community and non-profit organizations.
- This money will go towards helping provide services to the most vulnerable, including seniors, the homeless, and people with disabilities
- A portion of the funds will be distributed directly to small independent organizations with the remainder flowing through national organizations like United Way and Red Cross.