Canadian COVID-19 Update | Friday, May 22
May 29, 2020
TIAC’s Advocacy Update
- Today, TIAC participated in a regularly scheduled call with ISED Assistant Deputy Minister Paul Thompson
- TIAC continued to emphasize the problems encountered by Destination Marketing Organizations in accessing the new funding managed by Canada’s 6 Regional Development Agencies.
- Our partners at Destination Canada have released new data on COVID-19 impacts to the tourism sector, and a new recovery outlook document
- These reports can be accessed on the Destination Canada research webpage
- Today, a Cabinet meeting was held to determine if the House of Commons will return to regular sittings next week
- The Prime Minister also hosted a call with provincial Premiers today to discuss how to safely reopen the economy, and the need to adjust to ‘a new normal’
- More federal resources were announced for COVID-19 contact tracing including interviewers from Statistics Canadare supported but balancing this with ensuring airlines are able to recover.