Canadian COVID-19 Update | Friday, April 24
April 24, 2020
- Today, consistent with TIAC advocacy asks, the Prime Minister announced commercial rent relief measures for SMEs through the new Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small businesses
- Details on the new program can be found below in “Government Announcements”
- TIAC understands that these measures may not meet the support needs of all tourism businesses. As such, it is important that we provide your feedback to government. Please send your comments to us directly at email@example.com
- The latest State of Tourism in Canada during COVID-19 Dashboard report prepared by TIAC partners Twenty31 is now available to the industry.
- This project is made possible through Canadian Experience Fund contributions.
- This evening, TIAC President and CEO will be speaking to her counterparts in Australia and the United States on advocacy efforts for recovery. Our continued work on recovery includes looking at international recovery programs already in progress in numerous countries. Our continued dialogue with our counterparts internationally are beneficial to TIAC’s advocacy efforts.
- The President & CEO participated in a regular call with ISED ADM Paul Thompson to discuss the state of the industry.
- TIAC participated in the Business Liaison Group hosted by Judith Andrew, Commissioner (Employers) from the Canada Employment Insurance Commission to learn more about workforce government measures.
In case you missed it …
- Tourism businesses have the opportunity to participate in a telephone townhall meeting hosted by the Official Opposition this weekend. Conservative Shadow Ministers for Tourism, Small Business, Rural Economic Development, and Associate Shadow Minister for Finance will be leading the call on Saturday, April 25 at 1pm EST/10am PST.
- This call provides an opportunity for the industry to share challenges being faced during this global health pandemic, and what gaps remain in government programs.
- To participate in the town hall, you must register. Please sign-up here: https://www.conservative.ca/cpc/small-business-tele-town-hall/. You will receive a call on Saturday at 1pm EST/10am PST that will automatically connect you to the townhall.
- Next week, TIAC’s President & CEO will once again participate in a Destination Canada COVID-19 public webinar
- Details on the webinar can be found here https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-webinar
- Today, the Prime Minister announced that an agreement has been reached with the provinces and territories regarding the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program
- The program will provide forgivable loans to qualifying commercial property owners to cover 50 per cent of three-monthly rent payments that are payable by eligible small business tenants who are experiencing financial hardship during April, May, and June 2020.
- The loans will be forgiven if the mortgaged property owner agrees to reduce eligible small business tenants’ rent by at least 75 per cent for the three corresponding months under a rent forgiveness agreement, which will include a term not to evict the tenant while the agreement is in place. The small business tenant would cover the remainder, up to 25 per cent of the rent.
- Impacted small business tenants are businesses paying less than $50,000 per month in rent and who have temporarily ceased operations or have experienced at least a 70 per cent drop in pre-COVID-19 revenues. This support will also be available to non-profit and charitable organizations.
- The Prime Minister will participate in a call with the provinces later today, where discussions will continue on gradual reopening of businesses after the crisis. As announced, COVID-19 has not hit each region the same way, and as such, responses will need to adjust to the realities in each province and territory.